The Obagi Blog recently posted this excellent information about the benefits of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is offered in topical formulas that can be applied to the skin and can help prevent skin aging and protect against sun damage.1
Benefits of Vitamin C
The topical form of Vitamin C is called ascorbic acid, and it is known as “the most important skin antioxidant.” Antioxidants protect against damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals as well as environmental pollutants. In particular, the antioxidant Vitamin C works by speeding up the skin’s natural repair systems and by directly inhibiting further damage.
Numerous clinical studies have proven the skin benefits of Vitamin C and confirmed that it can help protect against the signs of skin damage by:
- Stimulating collagen synthesis
- Reducing inflammation
- Suppressing pigmentation
- Retaining moisture
- Enhancing UV protection
- Replenishing Vitamin E
Fortunately, Obagi Professional-C SerumsTM use a Vitamin C formula in its most stable form, and absorbs and remains in the skin longer to offer maximum antioxidant benefit.
Available at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa, Obagi Professional-C Serums are available in 4 strengths for different skin types and needs.
So eat your fruits and veggies for all the health benefits they offer; and book an appointment with Adonis at 719-543-5000 to learn more about Professional-C Serums and how topical Vitamin C can help you look good, too.
The Eclips MicroPen is a new innovation in aesthetic medicine for the treatment of fine lines, acne scars, stretch marks and an overall improvement of the skin’s texture, tone and color.
Restore a more youthful, supple and more firm look to your skin.
Call Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa at 719-543-5000
The Summer is upon us!
If you like the freedom of the exposed skin, broad spectrum sunscreen which protects against both UVA and UVB would be a good idea, all year around.
If the stickiness of thickly applied sunscreen is not to your liking, there is a newer class of powder based sunscreen which has zinc oxide and titanium oxide as well as iron oxide and titanium dioxide with an excellent broad spectrum coverage.
Sunforgettable (by Colorescience) is endorsed by the American Cancer Society for its effective powder-based sun protection.
Things to remember when we are heading outdoors this summer:
- Use abundant amounts of sunscreen and as frequently as possible (every few hours) even when we are not outdoors.
- Don’t bother with any products that claim to have SPF greater than 50.
- Avoid spray type of sunscreens; it would be hard to apply adequate amount and there is no safety guidelines regarding inhaling the ingredients, better stick with creams or powders.
- The most important thing is actually using the sunscreen, so have it available around you all the time.
Sunforgettable is available at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa. 719-543-5000.
By Dr. Rina Shinn
One of the most revolutionary discoveries for cosmetic/aesthetic industry in this decade is the development along with easy access of fillers. Compared to aggressive nip and tuck of facelift surgery, fillers, along with non-invasive skin tightening procedures, have achieved a younger and less tired look for so many people without any downtime and almost without pain.
There’s a new understanding that what makes a person’s face look young, is not how much skin has been cut and pulled up, but how much fat is left in place to support the skin. As we age, we not only lose elasticity in our skin, thus the draping look of an old face, but also the fat underneath the skin which gives support to maintain its position above the bony structure. Cutting away the excess skin alone will not recreate the skin suspension that we had in our younger days.
Dermal fillers have been around for some time; natural substance such as one’s own fat was first used, but this was not always predictable in the outcome. The initial non-human filler was paraffin and liquid silicone. The next generation of fillers was bovine and later human collagens. Bovine collagen required allergy testing due to immune response.
It wasn’t until we saw the advent of hyaluronic acid fillers (such as Restylane, Hylaform, Juvederm, and newest Belotero) that the current dermal filler industry took off. Since early 2000, we have seen not only hyaluronic acid fillers but other combination fillers such as Radiesse, Scuptra, and Artefill. In fact, the field is burgeoning with newer and more fillers.
Appropriate use of dermal fillers has revolutionized the aesthetic market in recent years. Rather than the expense and pain as well as prolonged recovery related to the cosmetic surgery, people are choosing the dermal fillers which can be easily given to them in an outpatient setting with no recovery time, other than possible bruise that might need to be covered with makeup. Also there is a significant reduction in prices associated with fillers.
Additionally, dermal fillers can be given in gradual fashion so that the correction can be subtle and you don’t have to announce to the world that something was done to your face. And the results are immediate. You don’t have to wait until the swelling and bruising of an operation go down, which can take many months with traditional facelift surgeries.
At Adonis, we are having an exceptional special of buy one, get one free deal for both Radiesse (calcium hydroxyapatite, semi-permanent filler, good for structural rebuilding such as cheek and marionette lines) and Belotero (most recent hyaluronic acid filler, good for soft tissue areas such as lips and under eye areas) which are $650 and $500 savings for the month of May.
This would be an excellent opportunity to test out these fillers and see what kind of immediate, painless improvements you can have for your face. Give us a call today. 719-543-5000
ELASTIderm is available at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa in Pueblo. 719-543-5000
From the blog.
You know how a good cup of coffee is sometimes the only thing that gets you going in the morning? What about puffy, sleepy-looking eyes? What wakes them up?
Open your eyes to your personal pick-me-up: ELASTIderm® Eye Complete Complex™ Serum. Like an espresso shot for the skin around your eyes, this eye serum includes a boost of caffeine that will perk up the appearance of your eyes!
What Makes It So Special?
It’s simple—this eye serum contains clinically proven ingredients that provide real results. In addition to caffeine, which can help reduce the appearance of under-eye puffiness, the ELASTIderm Eye Complete Complex Serum includes proprietary bi-mineral complex and malonic acid for tighter, smoother-looking skin around the eyes. Now that’s a true must-have beauty product!
Happy Earth Day!
Want not waste not – Use only 1 pump of cleanser, moisturizer, serum, etc. Most of the time, that is all you need, using more often times causes you to waste your product and can also cause skin irritation. Conserve the product you have. Less if often times MORE.
Rejuvenating Toner/Spritzer: Take an old hairspray bottle of other spray bottle and add 4 oz of warm water, then add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil, shake it up and you have an amazing and refreshing spritzer to help hydrate and tone your skin! Some oils to consider for Spring: Orange or Neroli, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lavender combined with Patchouli, Jasmine combined with Orange.
Want more volume without having to purchase more hair products? This trick will not only give your hair a boost, but will also increase the oxygen flow to your face and give you a nice glow!! Take a paddle brush or large hair brush of any kind. On dry hair, start to brush your hair like normal, then begin to brush your hair to one side (for 3 minutes), then to the other side (for 3 minutes), then lean forward a bit and brush your hair, all the way from the base of your neck line, forward (for 3 minutes). You can then brush it back in place!!
Earth Friendly Hand and Foot Treatment: Take 1 cup of Brown Sugar, mix it with 8 oz of Canola oil and you have an amazing scrub that is natural and works so much better than a lot of other products that cost much more and have harmful ingredients in them!
Katie Klovis Aesthetician at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa shares:
1. Hydrate – Winter can be brutally dry and damaging to your precious skin! Be sure to use an appropriate moisturizer for your skin to keep it supple and hydrated. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water- this will help dehydrated skin from the inside out!
2. Exfoliate - As dry winter air dehydrates the skin, dead skin cells begin to build like a brick wall on the skins surface. The “brick wall” starts to act like a sponge and absorbs any moisturizer you apply to skin. To allow maximum penetration and to receive all the benefits of your moisturizer, be sure to exfoliate the skin daily. Exfoliation can be done manually by gently cleansing with a washcloth and scrubs, or chemically with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA’s), beta hydroxy acids (BHA’s), and retinoids. Talk to your skin care provider for the best recommendation of the appropriate exfoliant for your skin.
3. Correct – We are still in the perfect time of year to correct sun damage that was caused during harsh sunny summer months. Prescriptive correcting ingredients such as hydroquinone will show optimum results for lightening brown spots. There are also advanced and highly effective laser treatments for a more immediate result. Laser treatments can vary in price, and depending on which laser treatment your professional skin care provider suggests, a single treatment can take off up to ten years of age from the skins appearance! What’s not to LOVE about that!?
4. Protect - Now that you have taken the time to hydrate, exfoliate, and correct the skin, be sure to take extra precautions in protecting your skin and investment. Sunscreen in a MUST for everyone, at every age, everyday- rain, snow, or shine! Another necessary protection is a daily topical Vitamin C. Used topically, Vitamin C will provide your skin with not only the essentials vitamins and nutrients it needs for a healthy glow, but will also provide antioxidants that will fight environmental pollutants and free radicals that damage collagen and elastin fibers that quickly age us. It’s important to use a concentrated, medical grade Vitamin C for efficacy- don’t be fooled by over the counter marketing gimmicks and claims!
5. Pamper yourself! Show a little extra love this month my treating yourself to a deep exfoliating and pampering microdermabrasion or moisturizing anti-aging facial. This is not only a necessary treatment for your skin, but also a great way to unwind and relax your inner soul!
Several products available at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa have been featured in the NewBeauty Beauty Choice Awards.
Every year, thousands of readers, editors and beauty industry experts vote for their favorite beauty products.
Check out the winners for 2013:
ANTI-AGING SKIN-CARE SYSTEM
Why it won
Three of the brand’s most beloved anti-aging essentials come together to promote younger-looking and healthier skin. Learn more about SkinCeuticals at Adonis.
ANTI-AGING ANDIOXIDANT PRODUCT
Skinceuticals C E Ferulic
Brimming with powerful antioxidants, SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic helps defend the skin against environmental aging. Learn more about Skinceuticals at Adonis.
ACNE SYSTEM SOLD AT A DOCTOR’S OFFICE
One of the most intense skin-care regimens we’ve ever tried, but it’s worth all the steps for the long-term results it delivers. Learn more about Obagi at Adonis.
The Obagi Blog had a great post about preparing your skin for winter.
Obagi skin care products are available at Adonis Cosmetic Surgery & Spa, Pueblo. 719-543-5000
Here are a few tips from the post:
Winter is on its way, and with it comes the many joys of the season: snowflakes, hot chocolate, roaring fires, and dry, scaly skin. Whether you’re turning up the heat or braving the wind and cold, do more to protect your skin than throwing on a cute hat and this year’s trendy coat. Obagi® makes it easy to love your skin with these winter-proof tips:
Be a Bathing Beauty
Keep the water lukewarm and stick to short baths: hot water might soothe your muscles, but soaking in it for long periods of time will definitely take the natural oils right out of your already dry, irritated skin.
Apply This Defense Against Mother Nature
Once you’re out of the tub, the trick is to pat the skin dry (rubbing can irritate already sensitive skin) and moisturize while it’s still damp. Ask your skin care physician about Obagi®Professional-C Serums™, our award-winning antioxidant serums that contain a concentrated dose of Vitamin C and leave your skin feeling dewy soft. The rich formulas can help protect your skin’s surface and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles made prominent by dry skin.
SPF is also key, since sun damage can deplete skin of the natural oils it needs to stay supple2 (yes, sun damage can and does occur in winter). We suggest a high-level protection sunscreen such as Obagi Nu-Derm® Sun Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 50, our award-winning sunscreen that protects against harmful UVA and UVB rays and has a sheer, matte finish that feels great on your skin.
Banish Blah Skin From the Inside Out
Your skin needs H20 more than ever in the winter months, so while you’re concentrating on drinking adequate amounts to stay healthy, don’t forget that drinking 10 to 12 glasses a day can also help maintain your skin’s outer glow.
The Obagi Condition & Enhance System was specifically designed to elevate your procedure results beyond your expectations. Using proven ingredients and penetrating technologies, the Condition & Enhance System improves and prolongs the results of your procedure and helps you achieve healthy, younger-looking skin for the ultimate finish.
The Obagi Condition & Enhance System contains a proven therapeutic combination that works at a cellular level to treat the effects of aging and restore the appearance of normal, healthy skin cells.
Look as young as you feel and be confident in your appearance.
Click here to see our specials page.